Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate - Chip Pound Cake with Peanut Butter Glaze


Pay attention folks, this is one recipe you should NOT miss!  I expected it to be delicious, but WOW, it's amazing!!  It's also totally not good for you, but you can pretend I didn't write that.

Okay, so I pinned this on Pinterest ages ago from Recipe Girl and I finally got around to making it.  I feel like I was in a cupcake rut and wanted to try something different.  I picked the right recipe with this one!!

I'm just going to get to it so you can start baking this ASAP, but it's going to be hard for me because I sent it all to work with my Husband so I wouldn't eat any more.  Yeah, guess what I've been craving all day!!

Peanut Butter - Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Peanut Butter Glaze
Recipe by Recipe Girl

For the Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup creamy peanut butter (Recipe Girl advises against natural)
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3 cups granulated white sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips


For the Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips for garnish


To begin, preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a tube pan thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.  Next, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together peanut butter and butter until creamy.  Add granulated sugar and beat for an additional 5 minutes.



Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined.  The batter will be thin.


Add the flour in increments (I did 4) to the batter.  It will thicken very quickly:


Pour the batter into the greased tube pan and tap it against the counter to make sure any air bubbles will pop.


Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Test with a wooden skewer to make sure it is fully baked (stick skewer into middle of the cake and if it comes out clean the cake is done.).  Remove cake from oven and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes.  After removing the cake from the pan, let it cool completely before adding the glaze.


To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioner's sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanila extract until its combined.  The glaze needs to be thin enough to drizzle on the cake, so if it's too thick add a bit of milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.  Once the cake is cooled and glaze is whisked up, drizzle!  Garnish with additional chocolate chips.




I totally want this cake for dinner.  I'm so glad I sent it away, but not-so-secretly wish I saved myself a slice!  Anyway, a word of caution when making this cake.  I had to make it twice because the first one did not bake through all the way.  I removed the first attempt from the pan and left for an appointment while it finished cooling.  I noticed, when I returned, that it sank.  I ignored it and added the glaze and after it set I cut a nice slice for myself.  That's when I noticed the ring of uncooked dough all around my cake:


I used toothpick to check the cake and it came out clean, but I believe a toothpick is not long enough to give an accurate result.  The second attempt I used a skewer and after 1 hour 20 minutes it was not done, so I baked it for an additional 15 minutes and it was perfectly done.

But when I cut into the first cake, I'm not going to lie, I was devastated.  I wanted to eat a slice so badly I did the only thing I could do...I made it again.  So.  Worth.  It.

Now, if you like super dense, peanut buttery, chocolate accented, glazey goodness this cake is for you and I guarantee you will love it!!

30 comments:

  1. This looks so good! New follower. =)
    www.TheLatestFind.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley!! I will definitely check out your site...hope to see you here again soon!!

      Delete
  2. OMG, it looks devastatingly delicious. The glaze alone is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devastatingly delicious....that is the PERFECT way to describe this!! I wish I could eat a slice every day, but 6 eggs and 3 cups of sugar PLUS the glaze?! Can't do it...lol. Thank you so much for stopping by Life Is Sweets...please come by again soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh, WOW! This is beyond sinfully tempting! Delicious!! Pinning this one! I know heads will be turning at this desert:) Thanks so much for sharing with us at Kids in the Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I hope when you make it everyone loves it!! This would be fun to make with kids, too, especially the drizzle! ;)

      Delete
  4. This cake looks DELICIOUS
    I'd just loooooooooooove to have a slice, or two (or three.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Winnie....it's impossible not to have more than one slice! That is why I had to get it out of my house immediately! The women at my Husband's office said it was the best thing I've ever made!! So great to hear from you, thanks for stopping by!! :)

      Delete
  5. This looks divine! I can't wait to try this sinful dessert. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Lisa! I always enjoy your linky party. :) I hope you bake this cake and LOVE it!!

      Delete
  6. Hello, I write from Spain and wanted to tell you that you have a blog completely delicious, all receras are very rich.
    You have some wonderful photos, I remain a follower of your blog and your website in Pinterest.
    Greetings ....

    (Hola, te escribo desde España, y queria decirte que tienes un blog totalmente delicioso, todas las receras son muy ricas.
    Tienes unas fotos magnificas, me quedo de seguidora de tu blog y de tu pagina en Pinterest.
    Saludos....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO SO much for your wonderful compliments!! I am so happy you enjoy my blog and hope you have been able to try some of the recipes!! I very much appreciate your support and thank you for being a follower of Life Is Sweets!!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, this looks so good! I love the chocolate chips and the peanut butter glaze. I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/04/showcase-your-talent-thursday-3.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Alyssa! I did link this up to your party...thanks for asking!! Thank you, also for stopping by - hope to see you here again soon!! :)

      Delete
  8. This looks so so so good. Thank you for sharing the recipe at Scrumptious Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Thanks so much for hosting each week. :)

      Delete
  9. Holy Mackerel... this looks incredible! : ) SO happy I stopped by!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lorraine! It IS incredible!! I hope you try it and love it as much as I did. :) I'm happy you stopped by, too - hope to see you again soon!!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I appreciate your compliment...I hope you have a chance to make it. :) Thanks for stopping by Life Is Sweets...come by again!

      Delete
  11. wowZa - looks wonderful! thanks for linking up with KIK - hope to see you again next week - we link every tues. and stay open through the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelli! I do try to link up every week...I was out of the blog loop for a few weeks. :( But I'm back on track! Thanks so much for stopping by Life Is Sweets!!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy!! Please give it a try if you get a chance...it IS amazing!! :)

      Delete
  13. um WOW this sounds amazing! you had me at peanut butter chocolate. i am soooo trying this asap! we'd love for you to link this up to our Sunday Best link party going on right now. http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunday-best-link-party_22.html
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! I will definitely link up to your party...thanks for the invite!! If you like PB and chocolate you will love this. :) Thank you for stopping by - hope to see you again soon!!

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness this looks absolutely amazing!!!! The cake the glaze and everything! Very impressive looking dessert!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love anything peanut butter!!! This cake is amazing looking!!! Thank you so much for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks AMAZING! I am definitely going to have to try this. I'm so happy that Crazy for Crust shared. Definitely made me a follower. :)

    www.somethinglikesusie.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got this in the oven right now. Maybe I'm dumb but I missed the step that said to add the chocolate chips to the batter. I started pouring the batter into my pan and then remembered, so I added them in...but maybe that step needs to be added?

    Hopefully it will turn out looking as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete