Friday, January 18, 2013

A Tiramisu Triumph!


I'm excited to share this recipe with you.  Of all the desserts, cupcakes, and sweet treats I've made to date, these cupcakes absolutely received the most rave reviews.  They are both pretty and pretty easy to make!  If you like tiramisu, I cannot  recommend these enough.

To begin, mix up your favorite yellow cake recipe and bake it into cupcakes.


As they are cooling, make a cup of coffee.  Any flavor you like will do just fine.


Next, using a skewer, poke holes into the cupcakes.  Be sure to poke several holes so the coffee absorbs.  You can either use a pastry brush to apply the coffee to the cupcakes or a spoon to pour it on.  I found using a spoon worked better to achieve the sponge-soaked cake effect of tiramisu.  I poured a teaspoon sized spoon of coffee onto each cupcake, one at a time, and repeated the process until the cup of coffee was gone.  


This photo shows the three steps from bottom to top:
1.  Bake cupcakes
2.  Poke holes with skewer
3.  Apply coffee with pastry bush or spoon


While the cupcakes sit soaking up the coffee, prepare the icing (which is soooo delicious!).  One of the distinctive flavors of tiramisu is mascarpone cheese, a smooth and soft buttery cream mixture with a sweet, light flavor.  In the cupcake version it's used in the icing.  You can find it in the cheese section at most grocery stores.


Mascarpone Cheese Icing

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 8 oz. package of mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.  (To see the progression of stiffness as you beat the cream, click here for photos at one minute intervals).


In a separate bowl, beat together mascarpone cheese and sugar.  Once the mixture if fully creamed together, add the whipped cream in three increments, beating until completely incorporated at each interval.  The final product of icing will look like this:


To ice the cupcakes, I used a piping bag with the end snipped off.


After each cupcake is piled high with fluffy icing, dust the tops with cocoa powder.




Lastly, add some bittersweet chocolate shavings for garnish (if desired).


And there you have it! 


You can see the coffee soaked cake deliciousness after just one bite.  


Tiramisu is my Husband's favorite dessert so I'll be baking him these for Valentine's Day.  I hope you have an opportunity to make and enjoy them, too!



23 comments:

  1. So I don't drink coffee..avoid it...but I wonder how hot chocolate would work to replace it. I keep hearing rave things about tiramisu.
    Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmmm.....I'll be hot chocolate would be a wonderful replacement!! I'm not a fan of coffee myself, next time I make these I'm going to try a few with hot chocolate. What a great idea!!

      Delete
  2. We are big coffee drinkers here, and I bet these would be a big hit in my house! Yum!

    I'm your newest follower via GFC. Come visit me at My Sesame Seed Buns sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Life Is Sweets! I will definitely check out your page. :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. These are truly unique cupcakes that will really excite people at a party. I am pinning them. Thanks so much for sharing them on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! They are actually fun to make, too. :) Thanks for hosting your great party!

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie,
    I just love Tiramisu and can't wait to make this delicious looking recipe. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them as much as everyone I have made them for! Thanks for hosting Full Plate Thursday...see you next week!!

      Delete
  5. Debbie, this is toooo good. Oh my. I love Tiramisu. Thanks so much for linking this one up on my Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop. Guess what? It'll be featured on this coming hop. See you Wednesday!

    Sinea from Ducks 'n a Row

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks SO much, Sinea!! So exciting to be featured. :) I haven't blogged in the last few months so you've really made my day!!! Thanks so much, see you on Wednesday. ;)

      Delete
  6. What a great idea to do this as cupcakes. I love tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dorothy! Thanks so much for the nice comment. If you like tiramisu you will really enjoy these!! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  7. Will make this for my daughter's birthday. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Already your follower hopping by, blogging @ Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun making them and that everyone enjoys them on your daughter's birthday! Thanks for stopping by Life Is Sweets...hope to see you again! :)

      Delete
  8. triumph is right! wow! these look fantastic! Thanks for sharing at foodtastic friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing is my pleasure - Thanks so much for hosting Foodtastic Friday! Thanks for stopping to leave a sweet comment. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh those cupcakes are amazing! Found you on the Live Laugh Row party - Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! They really are delicious, the one baked treat everyone asks me for over and over. :) Thanks for pinning and stopping by. Hope you'll check back soon on Life Is Sweets!!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations your recipe is being featured on foodie friday today stop by and get your featured button. I will be pinning and tweeting it all this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm glad you like the recipe. Hopefully, you will try it and love it, too. :) Enjoy the rest of this weekend!!

      Delete
  11. Those are gorgeous!! Stopping in from Sundae Scoop - pinned to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie, I really enjoy you posting this Tiramisu Triumph. What a brilliant idea! Definitely will try it. I am a cupcake lover. Have been selling cupcakes for two years now and definitely Tiramisu Triumph will fill my menu. My family don't drink coffee, yet this recipe will be a great choice for my customers. Thank you so much. So happy to find your blog. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love tiramisu sooo much! Have to try these, I am now a follower! :D

    ReplyDelete