Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mother's Day Flower Bouquet Cupcakes


When I first began this blog last August, I had a wish for myself.  I hoped that, although I got started by finding recipes and designs that inspired me and creating them as exactly as I could, one day I would suddenly start having my own ideas for additions, substitutions, and designs of my own.  Slowly, this has been happening and I can't tell you how rewarding it is!  I've admired so many bakers and bloggers ability to make amazing confections...and how they find inspiration EVERYWHERE!  Well, I still begin by finding images of whats been done before, but, sometimes, I come up with something on a whim.  Like these flower bouquet cupcakes I made last night.  How exciting!!

I'm certain something like this has been done before, and I would find it with a bit of Googling, but I didn't see it first and then make it.  No, instead I was sitting with my Husband while he ate a late dinner and I just started playing around with leftover cupcakes and icing.  And I love what I came up with!!


These are such HAPPY cupcakes.  Don't they make you smile?  The colors and the illusion of tiny little flowers piled high....sigh.  I just love them.


While I was looking at them I immediately thought of Mother's Day and how perfect they would be to give to one of the most important women in our lives.  And, honestly, they are just so easy to make.  Really!!

Begin, of course, by making a batch of cupcakes.  I used some leftover strawberry ones from my Ladybug Cupcakes.  You can use any flavor you like, but some of the cupcake color will show through the flowers, so bear this in mind when coming up with your color scheme.

Next, make your buttercream.  This is my favorite recipe:
Buttercream Icing

2 sticks butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

In large mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed until fluffy.  Add three cups of sugar, one at a time until combined.  Add vanilla extract and milk, along with last cup of sugar.   Beat until smooth.  Add more milk, one teaspoon at a time, to reach desired consistency of frosting.

 Split the icing into as many colors as you'd like to use.  I used yellow, purple, and pink.  Then fill a piping bag fitted with a Wilton #2D tip (place each color of icing into a separate bag).  Use the photo below for reference while reading the written description that follows:


First, pipe a circle of flowers around the outside of the cupcake (first cupcake in photo).  Then, fill in the exposed middle area with four flowers (second cupcake in photo).  Pipe four more flowers on top of the middle four flowers.  Lastly, pipe one flower on top of the second layer of four flowers, centered (third cupcake in photo).

When you've completed the flowers, use a pair of tweezers to add a single dragee in the center of each flower:


Here is the succession of steps:


And that's it!  Couldn't be simpler!!  I used green for the demo, as I had some left over from making the grass on my Ladybug Cupcakes.  The color doesn't work for the "bouquet" I put together, however it would be nice for next St. Patrick's Day or Christmas.  But it's neither late-winter or mid-winter, so let's enjoy the light, bright colors!!


Would your Mom be impressed if you gave her something homemade rather that store bought goods?  I know mine would.  So, even if you don't make this particular design, play around and see what you can come up with.  Mom's love a little thoughtful creativity.  :)  


52 comments:

  1. These cupcakes are AMAZING !!
    I just love the coloring
    Absolutely gorgeous, and definitely make me smile :)
    I admire you creativity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much, Winnie! I was surprised by these myself when I put them together. I appreciate your compliments!!

      Delete
  2. Those are so pretty! I love the bright and cheery colors. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kyra! I am kinda in love with them. :) Thanks for visiting - hope to see you again!!

      Delete
  3. These cuppy cakes are so beautiful!!
    -Heather
    @ www.made-famous-by.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather!! They're definitely putting me in a spring mood. :) Thanks so much for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. amazing. I want to make those for my daughter's school on friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope they are a big hit at school!! :) Thanks for stopping by - hope to see you again!!

      Delete
  5. they are so colourful & joyful!!yes,perfect as a mothers day gift!!
    Thanks a lot for sharing these smiling cupcakes with Midweek Fiesta...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Amy! I love how happy they look...joyful is a good word to use!! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Большое спасибо Любе! I appreciate your compliments very much. :) My husband is from Kyiv so I know a bit of Russian....thanks for visiting Life Is Sweets. Hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  7. These are absolutly perfect!
    I wanted to let you know that I'm passing along the Versatile blogger award to you! For more infor about the award check out my post here http://ow.ly/9Qojz
    Have a great Day!
    Dawn @ DJ's Sugar Shack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn!! Thank you SO much!! This is my first award and I'm so EXCITED!! I appreciate your following my blog...I just love yours, as well! As I wrote in my award post, your sugar skull cookies are just amazing and I wish I were that talented!! Have a great week...and did I say THANK YOU??!! ;)

      Delete
  8. What fun and colorful cupcakes.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi!! Have a great weekend!! :)

      Delete
  9. GORGEOUS cupcakes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan...they were definitely easy and FUN to make!!

      Delete
  10. The cupcakes are georgous and you are very creative. Great job, love the pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! These were a bit of a challenge to photograph, but I found a few complimentary angles!! Hope to see you here again soon, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Glad I came across your blog! I am going to follow as well, very cute ideas on here! I started my blog end of last year, and trying my best, so I love that you are a beginner too, yet your blog does not look like a beginner blog! Hope you come to follow me as well! (www.hungryhungryhouse.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the follow...I am now following you, too! I'm totally going to make your Bourbon Chicken this week!! Your blog looks great, I love that you have photos of all the ingredients. I used to try and do that, but usually I end up forgetting! I can absolutely assure you I am a beginner...nearly everything on my blog is a first time try. We beginners have to support eachother so I'm glad you found me, too! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  12. Your cupcakes are very pretty! I just picked up a 2D tip last week as a matter of fact:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! I had only used 2D for one purpose and am VERY excited to use it for other things, like making flowers! I am truly a beginner, LOL!!

      Delete
  13. Thanks, Miz Helen!! :) Enjoy your weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful! Would love for you to share at http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/p/link-party.html
    Have a great night :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just shared them with your linky party...thanks, also, for the invitation!! It's always nice to be asked to a party. :) Hope you'll visit Life Is Sweets again soon!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I'll be back...and hope you will link up again next week!

      Delete
  15. I absolutely love these. I added a link to them on my facebook page. Thank you for linking up to DIY Home Sweet Home.
    Jamie
    diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you so much, Jamie!! Very exciting. :) It's my pleasure to link up to your party. Thanks for hosting each week!

      Delete
  16. Wow. Those are gorgeous! Thank you so much for linking to Handmade Tuesdays. I know how you feel..it's so fun when you get an idea of your own that you hope will inspire others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! I have been so afraid to step outside of the box with my baking...I've felt "safer" following a template of things others have made. I know I sound a bit crazy, but this was such a great moment for me to not have a plan and create something pretty! Thanks for hosting your party each week and for stopping by to comment - hope to see you back again soon!

      Delete
  17. These are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Lisa! I hope you enjoy the upcoming weekend...see you again on Monday!! :)

      Delete
  18. Your cupcakes are so beautiful I wouldn't want to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I'll admit to you I didn't eat or give them away. I had them sitting on a cake plate displayed like flowers on my table, LOL. I finally threw them away yesterday...and hated to do it! Thanks so much for stopping by Life Is Sweets...hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! Come stop by and grab a featured button :) http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/03/your-whims-wednesday-52-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting!! Thank you so much for featuring these cupcakes!! I was very excited to add your badge to my "features". Thanks for hosting your party each week...see you there on Wednesday. Enjoy the upcoming weekend. :)

      Delete
  20. Beautiful cupcakes!! Love them!! Thanks for sharing:D

    Maysem @ http://odetoinspiration.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Thanks for stopping by Life is Sweets - hope to see you back again soon!!

      Delete
    2. That is so beautiful. I bet my 2 mothers (MIL and BIO) will get impressed with them!

      Following your FB and Pinterest.

      Also inviting you to join our meatless recipe blog hop/showcase at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge. You are also very welcome to add your blog here: http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/blog-list

      Hope to see ya there! Have a great day:)

      The Quiet Mom at http://olahmomma.com

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for the invitation! I will check out your blog. :) Have a great weekend and hope you all enjoy the cupcakes!!

      Delete
  21. Gorgeous Debbie!!
    I'll be featuring you this week @ Inspire Me Fridays! So glad you shared this!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Maria!! yayy!! Great start to my weekend. :) Thanks for hosting each week - it's a great party!! Thanks again for the feature!!

      Delete
  22. Wedding flowers

    I like all the flowers in all the images. I like it very much. Weddings and flowers go together.Flowers are what make a wedding beautiful, different and distinct from other occasions. Flowers are both the centerpiece and accessories of the wedding decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mothers day flowers I like all mother's flower in all the images. I like it very much. Mother's and flowers go together.Flowers are what make a wedding beautiful, different and distinct from other occasions. Mother Flowers are both the centerpiece and accessories of the mother decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm glad you like the design of the cupcakes. :) Thanks for visiting - hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  24. These are gorgeous and such fun colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jocelyn! Thanks for stopping by Life Is Sweets - hope you'll come back again soon. :)

      Delete
  25. like the flower in all images...look so fit. Best gift.
    Send Gifts To Pakistan.
    You can contact
    Hankhendricks
    if you need help or information regarding the following areas of interest:
    • new ventures
    • business deals
    • reference requests
    • getting back in touch

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Debbie,

    These are so beautiful! I cannot wait to try these for my daughter's 1st birthday party, which will be a flower garden theme. Thank you for the wonderful instructions and frosting recipe! :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow...!!!!! What a classic gift you have made..This looks very classy with that bug.. Can i have it's recipe for my mother for gift?

    ReplyDelete