Thursday, February 16, 2012

Let's Get Irish - Guinness Extra Stout Brownies!


St. Patrick's Day is coming and I'm excited to do some Irish inspired baking!  I saw this recipe a few months ago and have been wanting to make it.  I'm not a fan of beer at all, but this just sounded and looked too good!  After all, I'm not one to discriminate against any type of Brownie...

So, all you need is some of this:


And some of that:


And you'll be ready to go!

I first saw this recipe here and was immediately intrigued.  I SO loved the champagne flavor in my Bellini Cupcakes and thought there really could be something to a chocolate and beer combination.  After all, there's a cupcake shop in Manhattan that specializes in beer and wine pairings with cupcakes.  It's called Sweet Revenge and it's genius!  My friends and I had a fantastic time eating and drinking, but I didn't indulge in beer, 'cause as I said, I don't like it.  But why not give beer a try with brownies?

Guinness Stout Brownies

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
8 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup white chocolate
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 bottles Guinness Extra Stout beer
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick or regular foil, lightly greased. 
  •  Pour both bottles of beer into a medium sauce pan and simmer down until it's reduced to 1 1/4 cups.  Leave beer on the side to cool down.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa and salt until combined.  Put to the side.
  • Use a double boiler to melt butter, the chocolate and white chips over very low heat.  If you do not have a double boiler, place a heat-proof bowl over a pot of boiling water.  Place chocolate and butter in bowl and stir until melted, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and put to the side.





In a separate, large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy (approximately 3 minutes).  Add melted chocolate mixture and beat until combined.

  • Beat the flour mixture into the melted chocolate mixture.  Whisk in the reduced beer and vanilla.  The batter will seem thin, which is fine.  
  • Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of the batter.
  • Pour batter into prepared 9x13 pan and place in oven on center rack for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.

  • Let brownies cool completely, uncovered.  Sprinkle powdered sugar on brownies if desired.


Voila! Guinness Extra Stout Beer Brownies...chocolatey goodness.  They are not overly sweet, and the texture is very dense, which I love.  I would really like them if I couldn't detect the taste of beer (which, I realize, is the actual point of this recipe!).  Even still, I would recommend them. I baked these as a trial run for the upcoming fundraiser I'm contributing treats to.  My two beer-appreciating taste testers said these are an unqualified success and will be a big hit.  I think they will be, too.  Cheers!

17 comments:

  1. Your brownies look so fudgy and rich! Do you have to use Guinness Extra Stout beer? Or will any beer work?

    Cool Pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin! They do have a fudgy, rich chocolate taste without being too sweet. I did a quick search and it seems that any dark, malty beer will work well with brownies. If you try a different brand let me know how it works out. Have a great weekend, Robyn!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, those are awesome brownies! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fabulous week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miz Helen! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. OMG!!They look so rich & moist!!Feel like grabbing a piece....Thanks for sharing with Midweek Fiesta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! They ARE rich and moist...whoever originally had the idea to add beer to brownie batter was really on to something! Have a great weekend, Amy. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the invite...I posted these brownies. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dying to make these brownies. They look divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Did you have a chance to make them? I hope you enjoy(ed) these chocolately brownies. :) Thank you for stopping by...please come again soon!

      Delete
  6. I made these a few St. Patrick Days ago. I too found I wasn't terribly fond of the beer taste, but I loved the texture. My friend has a chocolate fountain set up and we were dipping everything we could into the chocolate, including the brownies. Then they were phenomenal! I think these need a frosting to make them perfect. At least, that's my preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'll be the extra chocolate would make them tastier! I think when I make them for St. Patrick's Day I will use milk chocolate chips, too, for extra sweetness. Frosting is an excellent idea!! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

      Delete
  7. These sound delish and are being featured today at the Luck o' the Irish Party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much!! It's thrilling to be featured on your site!! :)

      Delete
  8. OH MY GOD! I need these in my mouth right now! I would love for you to come by and link this or another project/recipe at my brand new link party!! Hope to see you! http://domesticsuperhero.com/2013/03/07/domestic-superhero-sharing-thursday-1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these brownies and holy chocolate overload! Everyone seemed to love these brownies, however personally I thought the chocolate was over done. That being said, I am not a huge chocolate cake person...so maybe I just personally dislike chocolate overload. But the richness of these brownies will most likely have you hating yourself after more than one piece. I would recommend trying this recipe if interested in the Guinness/chocolate flavor combo, because it is amazing! Also, the texture was more truffle like(which I enjoyed), rather than cake like or in my opinion 'normal brownie texture'. Just be warned of the richness and sweetness of these brownies if you decide to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made these and was afraid to taste them because I do not really like the taste of beer but was shocked to say that I didn't even taste the beer in it. I think all the chocolate overpowered the beer taste. They are really rich and I suggest having a glass of milk nearby. Thanks for sharing, my hubby is taking these to work tomorrow for a treat.

    ReplyDelete