Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcakes


My plan to do auto-posting while I was away on vacation this past week did not work.  I have to figure it out!  So, now I am manually posting later than I planned.  Here we go!

Cookie's and Cream Cupcakes: Everyone is making these, I see them everywhere.   I even baked a version of them when I first began this blog.  During that trial I used a box cake mix and wasn't happy with the taste.  Also, I did not show how to make them, which I will do this time around!

The vanilla cupcake recipe is:

Scratch Cookies and Cream Vanilla Cupcakes
Adapted slightly from Martha Stewart

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup of crushed Oreo Cookies
24 Large Oreo Cookies
Mini Oreo Cookies for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pan with liners; set aside.  In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time,  mixing until incorporated.  Scrape down sides of bowl and mix in vanilla.

Add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour.  Stir in crushed cookie bits.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  


Spoon a small amount of batter into the bottom of each liner.  Put a regular size Oreo Cookie on top.  Contine to divide batter evenly among liners on top of the cookies, filling each about 2/3 full.  


Bake until cake springs back, approximately 18-20 minutes.  After removing pan from over place on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.  Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on rack.  When cooled, top with buttercream icing and garnish with mini Oreo Cookie.

Vanilla Buttercream Icing

2 sticks of butter (I did use salted)
4 cups of confectioner's sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup of crushed Oreo Cookies
3-5 tablespoons half and half

Place Oreos into a Ziploc Freezer size bag.


Use a rolling pin, water  bottle, anything you can roll across the cookies to crush them.


Using a mixer, beat butter until it is fluffy.  Add 3 cups of sugar - one cup at a time - mixing until it's completely incorporated.  Add vanilla, half and half, and cookie bits along with the last cup of sugar and mix together, adding more half and half until the icing is the desired consistency.  Pipe icing onto cupcakes and garnish with an Oreo Mini.


This is the Martha Stewart Cupcake recipe I used for the Raspberry Buttercream Cookies, so the cake was a bit more dense than I would like.  Still looking for a scratch vanilla cupcake recipe!  I do love these Cookies and Cream Cupcakes, though, especially when you bite into it and find a cookie surprise inside!  :)


I have shared this recipe on:


Cast Party Wednesday 

No comments:

Post a Comment