Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How much blueberry is too much blueberry?


Well, unless you are Violet Beauregarde, I personally, don't think there is such thing as too much! On that note, I had a few pints of blueberries I purchased from a Farmer's Market and wanted to find something fun and delicious to do with them. I decided on blueberry cake with blueberry filling topped with blueberry buttercream icing.

First I mixed up some vanilla cake batter. Next, I added the blueberries to the batter, but not before coating them in flour.




Doing so prevents the berries from sinking while baking. Without the flour coating, they sink to the bottom of the cake. Once you have added the coated berries, FOLD into the batter mixture. If you stir too vigorously the berries can burst and their juice will turn your batter purple.


After the berries are fully incorporated, spoon the batter into cupcake liners placed in a cupcake pan. Bake as directed for the cake recipe you have chosen.


Next, I made what was supposed to be blueberry filling for the cupcakes. I followed a recipe that made an absolutely delicious blueberry SYRUP, but did not gel as promised into a filling consistency. As a result, I could not inject it into the cupcakes for a "surprise inside". I will try to make filling again tomorrow, after purchasing more blueberries, as I used up my supply today.


So, onto the buttercream icing. Instead of milk I added some of the blueberry syrup to the mixture. I thought this would produce a lovely blueberry taste, but neither my husband nor I thought the berry taste stood out. However, it turned the buttercream into a beautiful purple color, which I loved. After frosting the cupcakes, I spooned a bit of the blueberry syrup on top to finish the look. I am hoping it will set nicely and not create a liquidy, sticky mess. So far, so good.


Even though this project didn't turn out as I originally planned, the cupcakes are DELICIOUS with an incredible blueberry taste!! I hope if you try them you enjoy them, too.


If you are interested in a wonderful blueberry syrup (great for pancakes, ice cream topping, crepes, etc.), you can find the recipe here.  Next time I make this syrup I'm going to add some Blueberry Port Wine. Mmmm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment